- They have a short sleek coat that requires minimal brushing, although they do shed.
2. They are natural watch dogs and protective of what they consider theirs. HOWEVER, THEY ARE ALSO NOTORIOUS FOR BEING RECREATIONAL BARKERS.
3. They are good with older, considerate children. (They can be too rambunctious for small children.)
4. They are excellent companions for jogging or long walks. THIS BREED MUST HAVE A LOT OF EXERCISE. THEY ARE, AFTER ALL, BRED FOR HUNTING.
5. They are very curious and want to be a part of whatever you’re doing. They must be indoor pets; they very much want and need to be part of the family.
6. Overall they are a vigorous and long-lived breed of dog. The average life span is 10 to 12 years.
7. They are very playful and will create games to play with you.
8. They are very sensitive to your moods and want to be touching you whenever possible.
9. Some are good hunting dogs.
10. Most like to retrieve and carry things.
11. They love to go with you anytime, anyplace and anywhere.
1. They can be very destructive if not trained and supervised and many are chewers until they reach maturity. Some will always chew.
2. They will eat anything – pantyhose, lava rocks, sofas, pillows, woodwork, wallboard, hot tub covers, etc.
3. They can be difficult to housebreak.
4. As a result of the above three traits, a crate (wire or plastic) is a MUST with this breed. If you can’t stand to crate a dog, please don’t buy a Weimaraner.
5. They can be stubborn and hard-headed and are smart enough to be manipulative. They will try to get away with anything possible.
6. They can be aggressive with other dogs.
7. They are usually too strong and active for elderly owners.
8. They must have consistent discipline and obedience training at an early age. Without it, the dog and owner will be miserable.
9 .This dog must NEVER be allowed off-leash in an unfenced area. They are very untrustworthy and will chase the first animal they see, often with disastrous results.
10. See GOOD POINTS #2, #4, and #8.
11. They are prone to having allergy problems and hip dysplasia.
12. They were developed to hunt anything with fur or feathers and they often will kill small animals.